Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 December 2018

The Water of Leith Half Marathon


The Obligatory Start line Photo

Well that didn’t go to plan. I will leave out the gory details but basically I had a very dodgy gut during the run which is easy-ish to manage in the relatively rural environs of Balerno and Colinton but much less so in Stockbridge high street on a Saturday morning near Christmas, so quite early on in proceedings I was reduced to slow jogging/walking to avoid juggling my guts around too much. Probably something to do with having my work xmas lunch yesterday, I just can’t quite manage a three-course lunch these days plus booze and the food was still weighing heavily on my stomach which is not a particularly welcome sensation when lining up for a half marathon.
Me looking a whole lot cheerier than i felt...
Meanwhile Simon was being a Bandit (yes, that’s Bandit with a capital B) in this handicap race and, much to my annoyance, he started miles ahead of me but at least he had the good grace to look mildly concerned when I didn’t appear over the finish line for ages…and ages, waddling in at the back of the field. In fact, from my perspective most people seemed to have started in front of me. I think I need to be slightly less optimistic about my handicap time and a bit more realistic about my abilities (or lack thereof) next year. Still, as the Water of Leith Race goes it was actually quite a mild day with no ice on the ground and just a chilly southerly wind but for the most part the race route is sheltered, and the cold wind wasn’t noticeable. At least I wasn’t going to die of hypothermia from moving too slowly.
Heb 3 legend Jim Bruce on the startline
I quickly became aware of the hoards passing me mid-run and that I didn’t actually seem to be catching anyone up but no matter thought I, despite the worrying array of noises and back flips that my guts were doing it was a pleasant enough way to spend a Saturday and it beats hands down the other “sport” of Christmas shopping which seems to be a very popular way to spend a Saturday at this time of year. Yes folks, even a really shit run beats Christmas shopping as a way to spend a day.
With a handicap like that i'd be smiling too...


As usual the path wasn’t too busy early on but it got a lot busier after the road crossing just past Murrayfield and so dodging people, bikes, kids, dogs etc was the name of the game and in parts the path was really quite wet and muddy underfoot but there was none of the ice of previous years that had made sections of this run quite treacherous particularly the timber walkways and steps. The most dangerous thing on this route is people with dogs on those extendable leads, they are just lethal. I wonder if they ever appear in any race risk assessment? Not that there is one carried out for this under-the radar-not-a-race-race. I think the only instructions were “try not to get run over and try not to fall in the river” but too be honest I’m not sure either of these options could have made my race much worse than it already was.

As I plodded along, I really regretted not taking my camera with me and getting a few good pictures, its not as though I was racing fast and didn’t have the time to spare and it might have proved a welcome distraction from the worry of my stomach issues. A few walkers offered a cheery smile and words of encouragement, so I did my best to return the smiles although I fear they probably actually came across as snarls.

All in all though, I had to conclude it really wasn’t going that well. I had stepped off a kerb awkwardly at one point and got a stabbing pain in my knee which meant that more walking was required until the pain eased off. I followed the flour arrows marking the course and then when I got passed by a group of three runners. I started to follow them. One of them offered me a jelly baby, I must have looked as though I was in dire need, but the thought of what effect that would have on my guts at that very moment was almost too much to contemplate. 
Photos taken the following day...
I didnt have time to take photos of the art work mid-run

Sunshine on Leith
I should have stuck to following the arrows rather than the other runners though as the route then had to follow a council diversion through an estate of newish looking flats and soon enough there were no arrows to follow, more walking ensued while looking around for course markings. We all back tracked and fortunately hadn’t gone off route too badly. Ok so bad things always come in threes – that’s my three – dodgy guts, a sore knee and I got lost. Surely nothing else could go wrong? I recognised the last section of the route which for some reason always feels like the longest mile and a half ever and resumed my somewhat pathetic walk/jog by now accompanied with a limp.
Follow the arrows
You can see the finish line on the other side of the river from quite a distance and I had hoped I wouldn’t have to suffer the ignominy of walking in over the finish line but walk over the line I did and was met with the welcome sight of Eric and Lynda’s table groaning with soup, scones, cakes and other goodies but sadly by now I was so fragile all I could manage was a cup of tea.
Re-stocking the calories
Best lunch ever!
The finish line was in a slightly more exposed location and suddenly the wind seemed a lot colder so I swiftly retreated to the pub. Its amazing the effect a huge bacon roll and a pint can have on ones feeling of well being. And fortunately I did manage to hold them down although I did stop after one pint. Quit while you’re ahead. Plus the company and the chat was very good. 
Photo stolen from Mary Hunter..
Simon (the Bandit. With a capital “B”) won the race and now will be handicapped out of sight for evermore in this event. Especially as it’s the second year that he has won it. Due to everyone having to wait on me finishing there’s the possible chance of a good handicap next year….. Every cloud and all that. Amazingly I wasn’t even last, there was some poor soul out even longer than I was (if that was possible) but in his defence he did get rather impressively lost.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive