Search This Blog

Sunday 17 December 2017

The Magic of Marcothon and midweek mountain mental floss


Woah Woah, we’re half way there…. Woah Woah, Livin’ on a (wing and a) prayer…*

Half way there. Well, more than halfway I suppose. It’s actually going quite quickly but I suspect that has more to do with the speed of Christmas approaching being inversely proportional to the amount of necessary Christmas chores I have managed to complete rather than anything to do with the Marcothon itself. 

This year Marcothon has come at exactly the right time for me. It’s given me a focus, a target, when everything else seemed a little bit hopeless so thank you Marchothon. If you thought the introduction to my last blog was bordering on the self-pitying side then this one was building up to be a full on misery fest but a change of work circumstances in the last two days has changed all that. You’ll be glad of that, there’s nothing worse than a self-pitying blog post or Facebook post. 

The thing about Marcothon is that it takes away any decision making which is ideal as you plunge into the darkness of the winter months in Aberdeen. You will be going running today. Come what may. There is no other option. And, like running success or failure in general, it is down to you, not a decision made by someone else, you either run or you don’t there’s no office politics behind it, no individual can do it for you or stop you. Only maybe illness or injury could do that, or by your own decision. That’s the beauty of it, the simplicity compared with the everyday crap of everyday life. Similarly for quite a while I’ve found my “midweek mountain mental floss” has been an essential part of keeping me sane. And not requiring bail money.

Therefore I have had days of amusingly slow runs as I negotiate the sheet ice lining the city streets and the country trails interspersed with what I like to think were convincing Torvill and Dean impressions but, which I suspect from a bystanders point of view, were actually more like Bambi impressions. For anyone too nervous to venture out running on the ice in town I have a tip for you. Go and do a night race on frozen tracks in a forest with only a head torch to guide you and after that the well lit city streets seem far less treacherous in comparison.
Reflective course markers
Time keeping was a chilly job tonight!
I actually like running in the winter and there are some great races such as the night series put on by Deeside runners. The first race in the series is the Cnoc Dubh night race near Cambus O May. The race start itself was moved by a couple of hundred yards so that the runners didn’t have to negotiate the sheet of ice covering the car park. Lining up on the start line we were warned it was going to be slippy on the track and down to the river and then we were set off into the darkness. The car thermometer had registered -5 deg C in the car park and it was definitely an icy blast I felt as we started the climb.  Some brave souls were wearing shorts too. Sure enough the gravel on the wide landrover track was frozen solid and so I tried to stick to the very edges of the track to get some traction from the grass and twigs at the side. Being pretty worn out at the moment with legs that felt as heavy as lead I could only watch as the torchlight of the majority of the field disappeared into the blackness but the course was very well marked with reflective markers so I wasn’t too concerned about losing my way. The first exciting bit was the descent down the gulley to the river crossing. I had managed to catch a few people up so there were four of us running together by the time we reached the gulley, all tackling the descent from different directions and so when the race marshal at the bottom of the descent started yelling that someone was too far over and not to head over the cliff it was a little difficult to tell who he meant was about to plummet headlong over the cliff. On balance not going over the cliff did seem like good advice though. I carefully slithered my way down the gulley which ordinarily is pretty muddy but tonight was frozen solid and crossed the burn while managing to keep my feet dry. Always a bonus. With it being so cold and frozen keeping the feet dry wasn’t as much of a challenge tonight as it often is but still I wasn’t spared that heart stopping moment when your feet break though the crisp snowy surface and plunge into icy boggy water underneath. Oh joy.

I got across the second stream crossing without further soaking my feet but almost face planted as I jumped across not realising that the other side of the path was sheet ice. I got up, no damage done and carried on. I don’t think I was really going fast enough to damage myself if the truth be told. The squeals and yelps I heard behind me suggested that the runners following me had just done exactly the same. Eventually these runners over took me as I picked my way down the track to the finish as well as stopping to give directions to folk who were on their way out to assist an injured runner. 

Given the conditions it was probably inevitable that someone would come a cropper but happily no one did any major structural damage to themselves and we all made it back to the Riverside café for soup and tea, coffee and cakes in front of a fantastic woodburning stove while enjoying the post race chat with other runners and generally feeling as though we had all had a bit of an adventure. I love the simplicity of these events. It’s a great form of escapism and the camaraderie is second to none. There is something magical about running in the ice and the cold and then warming up in front of a fire.
Soup, cakes and prizes


The race is a bargain at an entry fee of £2 and the prizes were chocolate Santas. Lets hope this batch of chocolate Santas won’t be re-called by the store for some “wee problem” like last years were…

Race winner Fiona with her chocolate Santa

*Song lyric credits to Jon Bon Jovi. Sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive