Monday, 17 October 2011


Glencoe = Whisky!!!

Im not sure that we could have chosen a much wetter weekend for a long overdue trip to Glencoe, it rained and rained….and rained and so the latest editions to the cottage, the shower and drying machines, were a very welcome find. Less so was the new smoke alarm which I only discovered whilst cremating the dinner.

However, we were not going to let a bit of rain spoil the weekend but a smaller expedition than the original munro bagging plan was hurriedly put together on saturday morning after it dawned on us that visibility wasn’t too great and the rain had no plans to stop. We decided on a walk from the cottage to the nearby Pap of Glencoe. The walking was actually quite pleasant despite the rain, if fairly squelchy underfoot however we took a wrong turn in the woods (my fault, I suspect!) and once we had worked out where we were supposed to be Nigel’s boot decided to disintegrate making it impossible to continue. Amidst much hilarity we admitted defeat and our some what less than intrepid expedition was abandoned in favour of tea and cakes at the Glencoe tea room. It wasn’t an entirely disappointing end to the walk….

Setting the rain
So which way is it, Kenny? asks Lucy

A slight problem with Nigel's boot...
Nigel's Boot!

On returning to the cottage it was decided that we hadn’t done enough exercise and so a little run taking in a couple of laps of the woods around the hospital lochan was the entertainment for the afternoon before returning to the cottage to add yet more wet clothes to the drying racks already containing lots of wet clothes from the morning. Definitely time to put the fire on and start on the whisky before heading to the Clachaig for dinner.

Drying off!

Whisky tasting

By the following morning it appeared to be a bit drier outside and it looked as though Lucy would have a good day for her race in Aviemore which she had left very early for so we drove to Mamore lodge and started a walk from there having found some alternative footwear for Nigel. It was a steady trudge to up to Loch Eilde Mor, along the side of the loch then up to Coire an Lochan then up to our target of Sgor Eilde Beag at 956m (no idea if it’s a munro or not?) At the higher level the wind was very strong and hailstones were blowing through but the weather cleared long enough for us to take that all important summit photo before closing in again.
From there it was steady descent back down the hill and along the wide landrover track back to Mamore Lodge and to finish a lovely relaxing weekend with tea and cake back at the cottage.

The intrepid party
The Lochan
Kenny, Lisa and Nigel sheltering from thw wind
Mist Clearing
The Lochan
Kenny at the summit

No comments:

Post a Comment